Tuesday, August 28, 2012

On Finding the Right Space to Revise

25 days until showtime.

I sat in the performance space, alone in the dark except for the lit stage area. I did this for two hours last Thursday and another two Saturday morning and for five hours yesterday. 

I did this in order to see.

What did I need to see?

I needed to SEE the play. The vague shapes of the actors playing out their lines again and again. I needed to see it so I could hear it in my mind.



And it worked.

It worked in a way that it wasn't working from my porch or my writing room.

The revisions have taken the writing closer and closer to that ideal, to the story I really want to tell. It is that strange and beautiful bird somewhere between writing and editing. If you can get it right, you can turn bad into okay, okay into good, and good into great.

You just need to find the right space for it.

For me, it was an empty room with chairs and a stage. The same room where my play would be put on.

For you it might be a backyard or your father's den or a linen closet.

Where can you SEE? That is what you have to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment