Thursday, July 5, 2012

Revising, Designing, Outeach, and Planning





Nina Alvarez here. Writing and producing a one-act play for Rochester, NY's Fringe festival in late September 2012. It's called "The Life of Leo Wool" and is about a curmudgeony but good-hearted literary critic who is visited by his dead wife, a feminist colleague, an outraged writer, and an adoring student in what might be the last hour of his life.

I find myself in those first stages of putting together a cast of five and a director and small crew. Revision, marketing, promotion, and project management duties took up most of the last month. This is my first time writing a play (though I have written screenplays and teleplays in the past) and definitely my first time producing a play. This blog is meant to serve as a place to document that process. 


So, the truth: the process is so multifaceted (and overwhelming because so much falls on my shoulders) that it's hard to sum up and document in discrete blog posts. But I have managed to put some hours aside this morning and try.


So, I have created posts on:



  • A bulleted look inside my brain
  • What I am grateful for in this process




1 comment:

  1. Love reading about the process! It is so generous of you to share it with all of us. So much goes into producing a play that many people aren't even aware of, so even these small lists are a huge swatch of insight.

    Sending you love and muse-filled vibes!

    ReplyDelete